Saturday 26 January 2019

Australia Day 2019 for a Proud Australian


 26th January celebrates the day Captain Arthur Philip arrived in Australia with the first fleet. As usual there are those in the minority who want to change the date because they like to call it invasion day. And also change the flag and change to a republic, but the majority just want to enjoy the day and have a picnic. Too hot for me to go out today so am staying home with the air. con. on and doing a blog post - and about time too. Hard to find much Australiana in my royal household but here is my Barbie from the Sydney Olympics 2000.
 More souvenirs from that time. Two handkerchiefs, a blow up beach ball-never blown up and some rubber stamps featuring Millie the Echidna, Olly the Kookaburra and Syd the Platypus
 I know my old cane doll's pram was made in Australia soon after WWII when there was a shortage of some materials and the maker missed his deadline-my birthday and I had to wait.
 The present occupant is one of my old dolls, her outfit was made in Australia. Many cats and dolls have been pushed around in this pram and even my daughter when she was a small baby.
 Two Australians enjoying a tea party many years ago. My daughter age about two with her maternal grandfather.
 A very Australian looking house. Daughter and her family rented this house for a 10 day holiday earlier this month. I spent a day there and could have stayed longer, just a bit too much bush for me and too open to the local wildlife.
Love this carport on the same property. Built from twigs and small branches it might one day disappear back into the bush.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Australia Day! Glad to hear you are keeping cool today. Loved all the photos of Aussie things and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to see you back. Enjoyed seeing the old and some new photos. Love that holiday house. And, of course, a belated Happy Australia Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, good on you for telling it how it is! Ken and I get so annoyed with the minority, and the media who put them in the spotlight. They should be ignored. I have hosted an Australia Day party for nearly 40 years, flying the flag, singing the national anthem, along with a dozen friends who are equally as patriotic.
    Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sylvia, we have a new kitty! A black 12 week old kitten called Phoebe. Soooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not active on social media lately ... and oh, I missed your post about sweet Shibella's passing, Sylvia ... I'm so sorry !

    Happy Holidays and all the best in 2020 !
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete