Monday 5 October 2020

Vintage Dolls With A Story To Tell

Here are the dolls from my childhood all wearing new clothes thanks to the Virus and me with too much time at home. The two medium size dolls are wearing hand knitted outfits from eBay, so much choice and such good prices and knitted by other knitters with time to spare and sell on eBay'

My large celluloid doll at the back is wearing an outfit from Big W baby wear department. Small doll in front has had her outfit from eBay for a few months.

My large celluloid doll I was given one christmas when I was about 12. My mother had to buy and dress 3 dolls as I have 2 sisters. My doll was dressed in pink, my younger sister's doll was dressed the same in yellow and I think my older sister's doll was dressed as a bed doll in a silver grey taffeta. All had beautiful hats long since lost, original shoes and socks also lost, we all still have our dolls.
Here is my doll in her original outfit. the dress is made from georgette and is starting to fall apart so I don't dare wash it again. Matching satin underwear of course.
Over the years one arm has discoloured and her face and eyes have faded. Her arms and legs have been restrung once.On her back is stamped Palitoy 55 Made in England. I found out only recently that these dolls are called Princess Elizabeth Dolls. Did my mother know when she bought them?For a celluloid doll of this age she is in great condition.
Now to my oldest doll which I received in 1945 and hers is a great story. At that time in 1945 I had been in bed for months with a serious illness. ( an illness now almost eradicated and fixed with anti-biotics and a few days off school) My father had a shop and in the window he had this doll on display and was selling raffle tickets for the doll as a favour to the local church. Every night when the shop closed he gave me the doll (still in a box) to hold. I really wanted that doll. The day came, the raffle was drawn my father gave me the doll and told me I was the winner. Only found out a few years ago from my older sister I didn't win the doll, my lovely father had bought the doll from the winner. My father and all the customers knew how much I wanted that doll. My mother later dressed the doll in a school uniform (pictured) for a Brownie doll show. She dressed my sister's doll in a brownie outfit. My sister's doll won. I still havn't forgiven my sister for winning. (but don't tell her)
The back of her head is marked A M Germany for Armand Marseille famous for many years for his doll heads. The celluloid arms and legs are stamped made in Japan and I know nothing about her stuffed body. She used to have some teeth and I think I remember a tongue, she also used to say mama. These things have gone now and her eyes are a bit strange. One arm has broken off at the elbow and is taped together and I know if I ever dropped her her head would break.

Australia was at war with both Germany and Japan in 1945 so I wish I knew where the church got the dolls from. There were 2 identical dolls both wearing orange crocheted dress one small and one large doll. I think it was the large doll I wanted and got. My generous father usually made sure I got what I wanted. Hope he didn't have to pay the winner of the doll too much.

My Patsy doll in her new outfit. Marked on her back Patsy by Palitoy Made in England. Patsy came wearing just a nappy but my mother had what she called a patch box, a tea chest filled with leftover fabric so I could always find something to dress my dolls. Also my best friend lived across the road and her mother made and knitted lots of doll clothes for the church fete so I always had a preview and first choice of doll clothes on offer.
Sorry Big Ted I know you have nothing new to wear and I havn't forgotten you but you are a difficult size to buy for. I will look on eBay again later and check the shops tomorrow. Or I could make you something if you don't mind choosing from the cat fabric I have in my fabric stash.

I still have the cane pram(seen on a previous post) I pushed my dolls around in and sometimes a cat and once only (never again) I let my friend push her dog in the pram.
 

5 comments:

  1. Such lovely dolls with their life stories. Hope your sister never finds out you were jealous. Though she might just be happy that her doll won. Big Ted does look a bit envious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those dolls have been well cared for and enjoyed. Really nice to hear the stories about them and you. What a thoughtful father you had and a skilled mother to create the doll’s clothes. I like the new outfits too, very jolly for Covid times.
    😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been far too long since I last read your blog - you have been very busy! You've kept your childhood dolls so carefully, I wish I'd kept some of mine. I can remember them, but don't know what happened to them. I have one beautiful doll sitting on our bed. One of my friends is a doll collector and has hundreds, all dressed by her. She was getting rid of a few, and gave 'Linda' to me.
    Can't believe you are still finding those fabulous stitched aprons! I haven't bought any for a few years, I've run out of space to store my linens and am seriously thinking of renting a storage facility to keep them. In the meantime, no ebay or opshopping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surprised to find not only a new header but also a new post !! When I saw your dolls I had to think of mine, I almost had the same and my mother had also dressed them. Now when we moved I gave them all away nothing is left. The only personal thing I took with me was my cat collection but not the whole there were 450 pieces. Now they are sitting here on a shelf.

    ReplyDelete