Saturday 6 February 2021

69 Years ago today 6th Feb.1952 George VI Dies and Elizabeth becomes Queen

I remember this headline and the day the King died 69 years ago. The Queen was on her way to Australia, she was then Princess Elizabeth but she had to fly back to London and the visit was cancelled.
I remember where I was and what I was doing that day. I should have been at school as the new school year had just started. My mother had hurt her arm and thought she should have a holiday and I think this is the house we spent 2 weeks in and it looks like the tide has gone out here. It had a row boat and a tidal rock swimming pool, top pic. shows mum and my 3 siblings, I took the photo. My father had a shop to run so came at night and weekends. Mum spent her 2 weeks stitching this supper cloth which is now mine. Different patterns in each corner, started and finished in just 2 weeks, amazing. The four of us had a great time but my school wasn't pleased when I turned up 2 weeks late.
Getting ready for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee next year and here is my new doona/duvet cover. Big Ted is a bit upset because now he/she has to sit on the side of the bed as it wouldn't be right to sit on the Queen's face.
A new/old handbag in my collection ready for the BIG Jubilee next year.
Working hard on my Andy Warhol Queen cross stitch, it must be finished before the Platinum Jubilee cross stitch charts come out as I'm sure they will. Sometimes I stitch for hours and seem to get nowhere as there are so many odd single stitches here and there. Makes me think this is a computer generated chart and some of those are very difficult to stitch.
I even found a matching bag to keep my cross stitch in.
I know I should be saving my money for Platinum Jubilee souvenirs. Couldn't resist this set of jugs from the coronation 1902 of Edward VII and Alexandra, so pretty and in near perfect condition. Now I wonder if there is another set somewhere in the world showing Edward.
 

5 comments:

  1. The supper cloth looks a simpler easier than the Andy Warhol, very challenging. What a lovely holiday memory. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the bed cover is beautiful, and you are very courageous to stitch Warhol pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Big Ted. Is anyone allowed to sleep in the bed? Beautiful jugs. If there is a set for Edward I am sure you will find it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are lovely jugs. I hope you find the matching set for Edward:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so creative, Sylvia ... love the Warhol cross stitch !
    Big Ted is so cute !
    Hope you're having a nice week,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete