Thursday 17 October 2013

Catching Up

 A while since my last post but I have not been idle since then.
I looked up from my stitching this afternoon and wondered why the lake was such a strange colour. The day has been very hot and windy and this is only the smoke from one of many bushfires to the north, west and south of Sydney. The photo was taken from my sunroom at 2pm on 17th October. We are in for a bad summer.
 Charlotte was a bit unsettled by the smoke and strange light and abandoned her usual bed in the sunroom. I wish you'd told me you were going to sleep on my sewing table Charlotte, I would have checked that basket for pins.
I have set myself 'The Great Tea Cosy Challenge'. I have had lots of compliments about my first tea cosy (right) so thought I must do more. The one on the Left is a Debi Birkin design and easier to knit than it looks.

 Now I have started the one on the left here. I sent to the UK for the right wool. Then there will be another one waiting to be knitted with fluffy wool.
 I am multi-tasking and cross stitching this sampler for Prince George's birth. Another sampler to be stitched is on the way from ebay.
 I hate to see good work neglected so I bought the boy doll at the markets. His expertly knitted outfit was grubby and stained. Thought I might put his clothes on my old doll or turn him into Prince George.
But look at him now. His clothes are clean and stain free, new ribbon has been threaded through his clothes and he is such a smart boy now. I took him to the op shop and hope he has found a loving new home.

7 comments:

  1. Fun blog! You look like you have a great time keeping very busy. Thanks for sharing such great pics! Hope your bushfire situation is eradicated soon - here in South Australia our weather remains very cool and wet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your soo creative!! Really interesting blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bushfires can be so scary - hopefully they are under control soon. Those tea cozies look very complicated ~ wow! And I love that you have given that little doll a second chance at life - so sweet!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you're keeping busy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this sky looks really scary and you have bush fires already ? Maybe Charlotte loves to be a Fakir.
    I love your tea pot covers, what a nice work ! and the little George looks so cute in his new outfit, I hope the real one looks as cute as the doll, lol ! At least we both have hobbies to fill in our time nicely and not like most of the vintage ladies, who complain all the time that they are sooo bored !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sylvia, I've been thinking about all my blogger friends in NSW and hoping they are okay. You're nowhere near the fires, are you - but it is still frightening even if you are 60 miles away. I said to Ken only a few weeks ago that the Dandenong Ranges are a bushfire waiting to happen; it's been so long since they've had a bad one, and the predictions for this summer are....well, I don't even want to go there. I'm investigating the possibility of putting my linens into secure storage in the suburbs just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sylvia .. I've been watching the fires on the BBC here .. I just hope the fires can be extinguished ... and I'm thinking of you and especially those whose homes have been caught up ...

    Wednesday will be a fun day here .. though the public won't be allowed tv access for the Christening ...

    With thoughts for now - to your next post .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete